Photography and content: Brian Minkoff photography
- Eurostar from Kings Cross directly to Lyon: 4hrs 40 mins prices start from £90 return
- Stayed at: The Carlton Lyon, which thankfully had brilliant air conditioning throughout-it was 37 centigrade outside. Prices start at £195 for a double in July
Waiting for the lift:
Off for an iced something and a quiet read:
- Many, many ice creams were essential given the heat. The best was Terre Adelice, Green Chartreuse was my favourite flavour-but was almost tempted by the Goats Cheese or Tomato and Basil, Check out some of the flavours here
Love at first sight:
- Boat trips to and from the modern Confluence were a mere 2 euros each way
My new friend Paul Bocuse:
Great meals to be had at:
- Institute Paul Bocuse –where his trainees learn the ropes ! We had a fantastic slow cooked beef rib on a bed of macaroni cheese and a shoulder of Moroccan lamb with spices were the stars. And it would have been rude not to try the Macaron desert – a macaron with a mousse of mango and passion fruit filling, with salted caramel ice cream or the Chocolate bomb with very very rich melted chocolate inside, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce !!!!
- Le Cintra terrase, in a beautiful square near the Town Hall- where we indulged in some fantastic home cured salmon and whole sea bass.
- It was too hot to wander the vast shopping mall but we did salad it on the Terasse of Le Paradis du Fruit , Red Mullet and Tempura Prawn salad was lovely. As was the Passion fruit smoothie.
Blending in with the locals:
Many quirky buildings along the Confluence including The orange Cube behind the bag